Tuesday 9 February 2010

Just Warning You, This Is A Long One!


So as i sit here and type this, i have a few tears in my eyes. First of all, i just watched My Sister’s Keeper (which i highly suggest if you haven’t seen it), and secondly i miss home a bit. Not going to lie! There has been so much going on in the last two weeks, i have finally understood what our program meant when we talked about culture shock. Since today, I have been gone for 4 weeks, and it has finally hit me that im not at home and wont be for 3.5 more months. Don’t worry there have only been a few tears, but in order for you all to get a good picture of my time here, i think its important i tell you the ups and downs of my trip :))


Last Friday, i left granada and took a 4 hour bus ride to a city called Algeciras, where we took a ferry from Spain to Tangier, Morocco. The point of the morocco trip was to give us a good idea of Moroccan life, whether it be in the city or in the rural parts of the country. We stayed with host families for 2 nights, while staying in a hostel in Chefchaouen the last night. During our trip we met up with leaders of organizations, english-speaking students, Peace Corps volunteers, Full-brite scholars, discussed stereotypes, differences, religion and so much more.



We got to see some beautiful things in Morocco, and meet some wonderful people. Everyone i came in contact with was very kind, and were very welcoming. So in that aspect i had a wonderful time. The only thing that wasn’t so good, was the fact that i got food poisoning. After our conversation in the mountains ( i got sick multiple times, while everyone was eating lunch. Then on the ride back down the mountain, (picture a road like morgan territory), in a rickety old bus, with food poisoning and no air conditioning, i made the bus stop three times in 30 or 40 minutes. Lovely right!! I stayed in the hostel that night with a bucket next to the bed. I felt like i was dying to be honest. In the chaos though, Chris called and made me feel a bit better. So apart from food poisoning, i had a great time.

Our entire group studying in Granada numbers around 50 people, but while we were in morocco, we were split up into smaller groups, so we could experience the country in a more intimate way. There was one point during my trip, that i was able to talk openly with my group and a muslim family about Christianity while we were in the Rif Mountains. Because most of Moroccan people are Muslim, religion and sterotypes of Muslim people was a big topic discussion. Just an FYI, it is illegal in Morocco to try and convert a muslim to a different religion, so that may give you a perspective as to what kind of place i was in. Converting people wasn’t the goal during our talk, but knowing that is very important.


Our translator asked if anyone at the table was dedicated to their religion, and if so, which one. I rose my hand, along with a few other students. He asked what i believed, and i told him i was a Christian. He asked our group how many of us claimed to be Christian, and what was the base of our religion. I thought, “Hey i have an opportunity to talk about Christianity openly, no restrictions, no hesitations.” He wanted to know if we had to sum up christianity in one sentence what would it be. I kindly replied “Love God with everything you have, and love people.”

He (i can’t remember our translator’s name unfortunately), tried explaining that Islam and Christianity are the same, and we are going to the same place and our base is very similar. But it broke my heart, because i knew that wasn’t the case. I got to talk about Jesus Christ, and what he has done for me, for you reading this. God loves me unconditionally, no matter what i do, and that’s a big difference in these two faiths. Jesus Christ was sent to this earth to die for my sins, and Muslims believe in Jesus, but don’t believe he was the son of God, or that he died for our sins. Yes there are a few similarities, but in the end if you don’t believe in Jesus, you’ve missed the boat.


So to put things lightly, going to Morocco broke my heart for the people there because I realized i probably won’t be going back. The family in the mountains took care of their parents who were very old and Muslim. It was close to the end for the grandfather respectively, and it brought tears to my eyes when i left knowing that i will probably never see him again, and we probably wouldn’t be seeing each other in heaven. It made it difficult to leave to be honest, but it also gave me a boost to dive into my relationship with Christ. So with quite a bit of encouragement, an empty stomach, good conversations, and lots of pictures, i left Morocco behind. Forever they will be in my prayers.


I miss you all very much and am trying to figure out a cell phone situation over here that isnt too expensive. I hope things are going well, and i would love updates of your lives!!!


x Shay

1 comment:

  1. I am so very proud of you. Have a fantastic time as you travel. Love you so much and miss you tons

    ReplyDelete